Power and the Monster

Humiliation is bad. Choosing humility is good.
Oppression is bad. Choosing to serve is good.
Discrimination is bad. Choosing to be last is good.
Exploitation is bad. Choosing poverty is good.

Power isn't something to take from people. It is something to neutralize. It's impossible to oppress selflessness. If I choose servanthood, you can't make me your slave. If I humble myself, you can't humiliate me. If wealth isn't my goal, you can't frustrate it.

When it comes to ending poverty, the starting point can't be "we can all be wealthy". (Sorry Mr.Sachs. You are a genius and your book is brilliance, but I can't agree with you on this point).

This monster we fight can only be conquered by draining its' power and neutralizing its' poison. Sachs says we are not in a zero-sum economy. Does it matter? Won't we always act as if we are?

The pattern of "give and take so we can get" still gives the monster power.
Oppression will still have its' whip and exploitation will still have its' lure.
We'll all just be a few more rungs up the wrong ladder.

Ending poverty is a noble cause. Let's do it.
But I have a feeling the only way we can end it is by choosing it.

Blessed are the...
~~~~
Tim Bailey

1 comments:

impactmatt said...

I so want to be able to do that... but it's so tough...obviously.

I like things... i like having things that are mine and I can access whenever i damn well feel like it. I need to be able to get rid of that.

Thanks for the post.